In the spirit of observing National Library Week (April 10-16, 2011), I want to thank libraries and librarians everywhere for their invaluable service in encouraging reading for enlightenment and enjoyment.
I love libraries – public, school, corporate, and private. Over the years my husband and I have created our own home library with a collection of books on art, management, business, food, investing, historical biographies, local history, religion, classic literature, and fiction. We’ve even kept a few of our favorite college textbooks.
I also have my own business library that reflects my professional interests. My book shelves include books on:
- Marketing and branding, with emphasis on services marketing
- Employee engagement and HR/talent management
- Nonprofit marketing, management, and leadership
- Facilitation and training
- Writing reference and grammar guides (my favorite is J. I. Rodale’s classic, The Synonym Finder)
- Humor and creativity (mostly cartoon collections from the New Yorker and the Far Side; Gordon MacKenzie’s Orbiting the Giant Hairball is another favorite)